Thursday, December 10, 2009

Assistive Technology

In order to work with some assistive technology tools I explored options through Windows Vista. The two tools that I chose to work with consisted of an On-Screen Keyboard and a Magnifier. First, the on-screen keyboard allows for students who have a hard time using a regular keyboard to to use the click of a mouse in order to type text in a word document. Although the keyboard is not one where you use typing experience, it works just like a normal keyboard. In order to explore this tool on my own I used the on-screen keyboard to type text in a Microsoft Word document. Here is a screen shot of my experience working with tool:



Another tool that I have explored through the Windows Vista program is the Magnifier. This tool allows the operator to scroll on text and pictures with their cursor and a screen appears above the original text and becomes magnified. This allows the reader to see a larger image which is helpful if they have a visual impairment. Here is a screen shot of my experience with exploring this tool:


Both of these items along with other assistive technology tools will allow me to help benefit my students who have disabilities. Since I was able to experience these two tools in particular I now know more about assistive technology tools that can be rewarding to my future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment